Sunday, March 1, 2009

Metaphors

The song that i chose was "Rusty Cage" by Soundgarden. The whole song is about being in a bad relationship and wanting to get out of it. Both people in this case want to be out of the relationship but for some reason or another stay together. They just make it worse for each other and they end up both being very unhappy. This causes angst on both people because of the bad relationship. They will get into fights and they are just very unhappy overall. One of the metaphors that are in "Rusty Cage" is "To watch my blood begin to boil." Someones blood can not really boil. This is refuring to the fact when people are in relationships and they fight they get frustrated and angry at the other person and its just how they feel. The next metaphor is "And ride a pack of dogs". This means all of the stress that is building up between both of them is just going to come out and feel like a pack of dogs. Another metaphor is "And it's raining icepicks on your steel shore" This is saying that one of the people in the bad relationship is saying to the other that their heart is like ice and thats what they feel like they get out of the relationship. Thats what the song means to me.


Rusty Cage lyrics
And hit me with a hand of broken nails You tied my lead and pulled my chain To watch my blood begin to boil

But I'm gonna break I'm gonna break my I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run

Too cold to start a fire I'm burning diesel burning dinosaur bones I'll take the river down to still water And ride a pack of dogs

I'm gonna break I'm gonna break my I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run

Hits like a Phillips head into my brain It's gonna be too dark to sleep again Cutting my teeth on bars and rusty chains I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run

When the forest burns along the road Like God's eyes in my headlights When the dogs are looking for their bones And it's raining icepicks on your steel shore

I'm gonna break I'm gonna break my I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run


The next song that i picked was "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum. The song is about teenage runaways. Some of the people that the song is about did actually run away while others were taken and some of them never seen again. Some times people feel the need to runaway from their problems instead of facing them head on. These people chose that. One metaphor in the song is "I was a key that could use a little turning." This is saying that in life you can only be yourself and that some times you belive or in fact you do need to fix things about yourself. Sometimes there good things and sometimes there not but most of the time you have to face these things. Thats what the song means to me.

Runaway Train lyrics
Call you up in the middle of the night Like a firefly without a light You were there like a blowtorch burning I was a key that could use a little turning

So tired that I couldn't even sleep So many secrets I couldn't keep Promised myself I wouldn't weep One more promise I couldn't keep

It seems no one can help me now I'm in too deep there's no way out This time I have really led myself astray

Runaway train never going back Wrong way on a oneway track Seems like I should be getting somewhere Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Can you help me remember how to smile Make it somehow all seems worth while? How on earth did I get so jaded? Life's mystery seems so dated

I can go where no one else can go I know what no one else knows Here I am just drownin' in the rain With a ticket for a runaway train

Everything is cut and dry Day and night earth and sky Somehow I just don't believe it

Runaway train never going back Wrong way on a oneway track Seems like I should be getting somewhere Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Solo

Bought a ticket for a runaway train Like a madman laughin' at the rain A little out of touch little insane It's just easier than dealing with the pain

Runaway train never going back Wrong way on a oneway track Seems like I should be getting somewhere Somehow I'm neither here nor there

Runaway train never comin' back Runaway train tearin' up the track Runaway train burnin' in my veins Runawaybut it always seems the same

No comments: